Sunday, December 02, 2007

the quiet

The first quiet has anticipation which makes it somewhat less quiet. If I'm up early enough, I feel like I'm getting something I didn't pay for. No one has stirred yet, but soon they will - and the question in my mind is. "When?" About the only noise worth noting is that of the coffee maker. This one is pleasant to me as I anticipate that first set of sips.

No voice from me yet. I kind of dread the first words I have to say, which adds to the anticipation of this time. Soon I hear the shower start upstairs, and I realize the quiet will be over soon. I sit and enjoy this time, as I hope it will last a few extra minutes today. My head has not yet become crowded with more than I can handle. My thoughts are still asleep, I guess.

The first words feel heavy on the throat, and I can feel the energy going out of me. Soon silence won't be an option. I hear the upstairs shower start. A drawer opens. Coffee is done. I'm ready for it. Footsteps on the stairs. In minutes, there will be much to say and hear.

Until next time.

No comments: