Wednesday, December 05, 2007

yeah, that's what we meant

I was watching a video of a church service the other day, thrilling to the 25 or so promotional announcements that I would have loved to hear Gordon Keith read as the Generic Youth Minister. You know what I mean - it is the stuff that runs on the screen before the service starts kind of like when you get to a movie early.

One image really caught my attention. It was a simple graphic featuring a big salt shaker full of salt and one word beside it: "Influence."

No doubt the intended point of it was a take-off on Jesus' words that we (Christ-followers) are the "salt of the earth." That's in the Bible. You can look it up.

I think that such a graphic only serves to illustrate how ineffective we are. Gathered in the salt shaker, we don't have very much purpose. I question how "influential" that is. What do you think?

No comments: