Tuesday, March 03, 2009

Tuesday, March 3, 2009

walk

Since I have taken on the role my wife lovingly describes as the "Crazy Walking Man of Lewisville," I have been able to view drivers with more objectivity. I get to watch them closely, as I am only moving about 4 mph. I have some observations. This is far from a scientific study. It is just a list of what I see. For reference, I walk at varying times of day, through the neighborhood, down Main Street, and across the worst intersections in my town. Here is what I see:
  • People look like they are not paying very much attention to their driving while they are driving.
  • More women than men are talking on cell phones while driving. A lot more. Like there is no contest...not even close.
  • There are lots of vehicles that are quite large with room for more than 4 people, but almost all of them are occupied by one person. It is weird.
  • If there is a mom and a teen in a car, more often than not, the mom appears to be upset and ranting.
  • If there is a dad and a teen in a car, the dad seems to be in a separate vehicle and another world.
  • If there is a man and woman in a car, the woman is talking and the man is driving silently.
  • If there are three or four men in a car, all of them seem to be paying attention to the driving.
  • Most people are nice and try to give me the right of way as I cross...or at least they try not to hit me UNLESS they are turning into the Wal*Mart / McDonalds parking lot. Then they appear to be on an unstoppable mission and I'm merely in the way.
  • Most people drive too fast.
  • People seem more distracted at evening rush hour than they do at morning rush hour.
I would like to organize my life to be primarily contained within a 2-mile radius of my house. But this will never happen, unless I have some kind of accident or something.

Y'all be careful out there and watch out for the pedestrians. Thank you and goodnight.

No comments: