Thursday, December 13, 2007

triggers



Years ago, I worked at a company that required a pretty normal Dallas-type of commute (30 minutes or so). My schedule was really predictable. Consequently, I happened to be in the car for Muse in the News every weekday. I also happened to pass a McDonalds that was just far enough away from my office to finish whatever I got from there by the time I arrived at work. And I also happened to rather enjoy indulging my "hunger" for a Sausage McMuffin With Egg, the greatest of all McDonalds breakfast inventions. This was before the McGriddles, which I don't like anyway, but I can hear some of you focusing now on McDonalds and off of me, so I threw that in.

Back to me.

So over a couple of years, I probably did this a lot of times.

This isn't a discussion about what kind of food is good / bad and all that stuff. The reason this has relevance today is that I found myself driving my son and his friends to school today because of different transportation requirements. We were in the car during Muse in the News, and about halfway through it I found myself really craving a Sausage McMuffin With Egg. Now mind you, I was not hungry at all. But I'll be danged if I didn't feel like pulling into a McD's for breakfast.

I'm saying all that because I think it speaks to the power of habitual triggers. That's all.

Have you experienced that? Tell us about it, but please for the love of Pete, don't turn this into a discussion about your freaky diet quirks. Enough.

No comments: